The day before our visit to meet the foster carers and the medical advisor, I receive a phone call from Denise to say that James’ social worker talked to her manager and thought that as some new medical information has come to light, that we should meet the medical advisor first. They then decided to cancel the meeting with the foster carers! I was livid. The meeting was in our diaries for more than 3 weeks and with less than 24 hours to go, they wanted to cancel the meeting. We had booked time off work, paid for our train tickets and generally got ready for these visits. Denise also thought the cancellation was unusual and the order of getting the information didn’t really matter as we would still need all of this information to decide about whether we can take on James. I let my thoughts known to Denise who was going to relay it to James’ social worker. Denise rang me back to let me know that the foster carer’s visit will still be going ahead. That was a close shave!